Monday 4 January 2016

Late-Night Swatches : By Terry Rouge Terrybly




I promised myself that I'm never ever buying other lipsticks again. And technically, I think I'll be keeping my promise, because I'm never ever buying other lipsticks again. I am hooked. These Rouge Terrybly lipsticks are amazing. I've read reviews claiming that the By Terry lipsticks were favoured over the Tom Fords, and I must say I was skeptical at first, but now I do believe that it is true. They are the best lipsticks that I have ever tried - and believe me, I have tried a lot.

The Rouge Terrybly claims to be an age-defense lipstick and a nutri-replenishing, high-color, hydra-volumiser lipstick with the brand exclusive LUMILIP ® TECHNOLOGY. There's not too many age-defense lipstick on the market now. We have a lot from the luxury leagues like Laura Mercier, Chantecaille, Clarins and Diego Dalla Palma to name a few but the Rouge Terrybly line really delivers their claim. It is pigmented, it is super comfortable and the Telegraph has said "it is a pamper session in a tube". Well is it? Yes it is.





When you purchase By Terry from KEN'S Apothecary, you receive a different packaging than their standard KEN'S bags, as shown. Online, the Rouge Terrybly comes with a velvet pouch but I have a feeling that is has been discontinued, or it's simply not carried in Malaysia. I'm not complaining because on Space NK this retails around MYR209++ but you can get your hands on the Rouge Terryblys for MYR199 here in KL which I find terrybly peculiar to why it is slightly more expensive on Space NK.

Either way, By Terry isn't cheap, there's no other way to go about it. But the quality of their products are amazing. In-store, I took the chance to try their Cellulose Brightening CC Lumi Serum in Immaculate Light and oh my god does that knock my Hourglass Veil out of the park. The texture is so smooth and my skin felt super soft and looked brighter due to the tiny reflexes in the product. It is such a beautiful product. I have to say that the By Terry range would not disappoint and it's something worth splurging on.





Onto the lipstick.

I picked up the shade No.100 Terrybly Nude out of their selection of 13 colours. They have three (or four) other nude shades in this range - 101 Flirty Rose, 401 Guilty Nude, 103 Plumping Nude and 403 Bare Instinct. The packaging of this lipstick is detailed into perfection. The casing is a clean, sleek, weighted silver tube with By Terry engraved on the top, and a criss-cross shaped of the By Terry logo lasered on the lipstick tube. Of course it has the magnetic closure that all high-end lipsticks are doing now. The lipstick bullet is a perfectly-sized bullet, engraved with Terrybly on one side (so that when I touch up my lipstick, it will look fabulous as hell). Hahahaha. I really do enjoy the little details in any luxury makeup, I mean, that's what we are paying for am I right?

Other than that, I repurchased one of my lip liner essentials - the By Terry Crayon Contour Levres Terrybly in No.1 Perfect Nude. It isn't an automatic lip liner, which is something I prefer tbh, and it comes with its' own sharpener.- this lip liner retails at MYR129. The By Terry lip liners contain jojoba oil and natural antioxidants which is why it has just enough slip to glide on the lips while still having that waxy texture for a more long-lasting wear-time. I should say that this do lasts throughout a couple of meals without the need of reapplying. You can use this as an all-over lip colour which is usually what I do, and if so, I would have to touch up a little bit on the centre of my lips. I have another of these in the shade Wine Delight. And I believe that there are 6 or 8 more shades available for the lip liners.


 
L to R : Crayon Contour in Wine Delight, Crayon Contour in Perfect Nude, Rouge Terrybly in No.100 Terrybly Nude


Colour :

No.100 Terrybly Nude definitely swatches more pink that the bullet looks, which is more of a neutral nude. It has fine shimmers within the product which is only noticeable when you look really closely (both on the bullet and the swatches). The shimmer is not too in-your-face, actually, it leaves the lips looking plump and healthy - giving it a low-key volumizing effect. The colour of the lipstick transforms yet again when it is being applied onto the lips. It has the most beautiful neutral, natural tones to it when it touches the lips. I should say that my lips are so pigmented that it may have mellowed down the pink tones from the lipsticks, and brought out more of the beige/brown tones of the lipstick.

Texture & Finish :

Terrybly Nude did exceed my expectations as it was certainly the perfect, classic nude I was searching for on my skin-tone. I feel that it transforms itself with the natural colouring of your lips which in turn will become a nude that is tailored to you. Which is what we all been looking for in a nude lipstick. The finish of the lipstick is a satin-matte, and it gives a full-on opaque coverage, which may be a good thing for dark pigmented lips. I still do line my lips with the By Terry liners to avoid patchy-looking application, but if you don't have pigmented lips, that wouldn't be necessary to wear this nude. It does not emphasise on any dry patches on the lips but I suggest that you exfoliate well before applying because it wouldn't look as perfect as it could be.

Application & Wear-time :

The ingredient content of this lipsticks include a blend of emollients and silicones which just means this glides on like buttaaah. It has a smooth application, without any patchiness and feels ultra comfortable on your lips. During the first 2-3 hours of wearing this lipstick, it feels very buttery and rich but after a point, it doesn't feel as balmy, which gives this lipstick a modern feel to it. I don't really like the old-fashioned creamy rich texture just because it's super hot in Kuala Lumpur, and it does feel a little bit heavy at first, but for colder climates, I think the moisture that the lipstick departs is one of the selling points of the product (dry winter lips, sounds familiar?). 

Having said that, the lipstick has quite a long staying power, lasts me throughout the day and only needs reapplication after a generous helping of rice and kung po chicken. I don't mind reapplying the lipstick (or any lipsticks to be honest) because it's one of those things that I find oddly pleasant to do. Not many people share this opinion but hey, you do you. 



Applied with By Terry Crayon Contour Terrybly in Perfect Nude 



Applied with Bobbi Brown's lip pencil in Natural


I've tried No.100 Terrybly Nude using two different liners, one with the By Terry and another with the Bobbi Brown - both have quite a similar nude shade, but slightly different textures. My lips were definitely drier in the second photo (with the Bobbi Brown liner) as I was having lip ulcers during the week, not because of the liner. So, it's really advisable to do quite thorough exfoliation so that any obvious super dry patches doesn't show through. It definitely is forgiving on minor dry patches. The colour does seem a little bit greige with the By Terry liner in cooler lighting (the first photo) and looks softer on the skin in warm lighting. I love it but I'm constantly battling to wear it or not because I'll be so sad when this runs out. 

Below are swatches of Terrybly Nude and a few of the nude lipsticks in my little collection. Any other person might say "it looks the same" but if you're a lipstick fiend like me, you know that it ain't. Swatches from L to R :

Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in 130 Rose Velvet (creme)
Inglot Matte Lipstick in 405
Revlon Matte Balms in 230 Complex
Maybelline Bold Matte Lipstick in MAT7
By Terry Rouge Terrybly in No.100 Terrybly Nude
Marc Jacobs New Nudes in Anais
Revlon Super Lustrous Lipstick in 003 Mauve It Over (matte)

(let me know if you want a review on these lippies in the comments :D )



Swatches in daylight (warm) 


Swatches indoors (leans cool)

By Terry do have a few other cult-status lip products other than the Rouge Terryblys - the Baume de Rose, Rouge Terrybly Shimmers, Hyaluronic Sheer Rouge, Hyaluronic Sheer Hydra-Balm, and the Terrybly Velvet Rouges. I suppose all of the products do carry their signature rose scent, which smells gorgeous. In my opinion it's particularly pleasant for face products, but too overwhelming for a lipstick because it leaves a slight taste when you first apply it. It's not unbearable - Givenchy and Dior has a similar rose-scent to their lip products as well. I think that the next product that I will try is their CC Lumi Serum once my Hourglass primer runs out, or perhaps even sooner than that.. 

In a nutshell, By Terry is truly one of the finest skincare/makeup line in the high-end division that is consistent with the formulations and quality of their products. If you're in the mood to splurge, head to their counters, try absolutely anything and be prepared to be amazed. In KL, you can find this at KENS Apothecary BSC, as well as the Bangsar Village II flagship. Otherwise, if you're in the UK, By Terry is available at Space NK Apothecary (they are having a sale for the By Terry lipsticks and other amazing products, you can get them for £16.75 or MYR106 apiece). Other than that,  Space NKMECCA, and Net-A-Porter are some of the stores that carries By Terry. Happy discovering and let me know if you too fell -


Terrybly in love ;)




x FARAH 


Products mentioned -

By Terry Rouge Terrybly Age Defense Lipstick in No.100 Terrybly Nude MYR199
By Terry Crayon Contour Terrybly Perfect Lip Liner in No.1 Perfect Nude MYR129
By Terry Crayon Contour Terrybly Perfect Lip Liner in No.8 Wine Delight MYR129

2 comments:

  1. Babes, you're so good at this make-up blogging thing! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG NADIAAAAAAAA!! Thanks for stopping by :) Miss you babes

      Delete