Tuesday 8 December 2015

Send Me Your Nudes, Part 1


Part 1 : Under the Skin 

Today we will be talking about nudes. 


When I first started dabbling into makeup, I still remember picking up a Laura Mercier Foundation Primer and Tinted Moisturiser combo (classic). I didn't understand what the primer did at that time, I just thought it was a necessary step before using the tinted moisturiser (how naive), but that was the two cosmetic items that I had and it was a good 5 or 6 years ago. 


When I had to throw it out, it was such a bittersweet and dramatic moment, like parting ways with a best friend. Yes it was my best friend. Point is, I've grown to learn different things that my skin needs for the perfect nude and I am here to share my story.


Bases and nude makeup was the one and only thing that I aim to perfect in my makeup routine. 


Perfecting skin was the one thing I've wished somebody had taught me when I started using makeup. I didn't actually need the tinted moisturiser and to just slap it on my skin on a day-to-day basis. Of course, a good 5 or 6 years ago the beauty industry was a well-kept secret and not many people had access to the tips and tricks from renowned makeup artist like Lisa Eldridge, Mary Greenwell, Wayne Goss, and Mario. 

The Laura Mercier Foundation Primer and Tinted Moisturiser are such well formulated products. I can honestly say that I loved the thin, almost water-like consistency of both the primer and the tinted moisturiser, and how radiant my skin looked when I have a thin layer of the tinted moisturiser has been applied on the skin. But what I didn't understand was why does the redness of my skin kept showing through? It was very embarrassing for me because my cheeks were very red due to sensitivity and I didn't know how to address it. So after numerous times repeating the same routine of applying the tinted moisturiser on my skin, without any positive results, I have caved in and both products ended up being in my shelf unused.


Alas, little did my 18-year-old self knew that it wasn't the products fault. It was because I was just responding to my skin issues the wrong way. If I were to be honest, my skin redness has gone better since I have found the magic of sunscreens. Yes, you heard me, sunscreens. I tend to see a lot of women addressing their skin problems with makeup and that is something that is very counter-productive. To perfect your skin bases, you have to take care of your skin. I've always been an avid user of sunscreen and boy, oh boy you can hear me go on and on about wearing sunscreen. But that is the only advice that I feel you need to take right away if you want to see a change in your skin. 


Invest in good skincare and do understand your skin. For me, I have a combination of dry, and sensitive skin. Hence I tend to mount my money in investing in good serums and treatments to address the different areas accordingly. I have tried numerous amount of cleansers, from the Kiehl's Ultra Facial Cleanser, to the Shu Uemura Ultime8 Cleansing Oil, and an array of moisturisers from brands like Philosophy, Dior, Caudalie and such. From these collective trials and errors (and the successes) I have a few ground rules that I have used in my skincare routine or when I am investing in products -


1. Always cleanse twice 

It may seem like an unnecessary step but always always cleanse twice. If you are an avid makeup user, and especially if you're using long-wearing primer, always use a gentle cleanser and cleanse twice with warm water and a clean flannel. 

2. Never touch your face

Honey, unless you've washed your fingers with soap, just don't lift a finger to your face. 

3. Always wear sunscreens

The major cause of parched, red skin is always due to sun exposure. I live in a tropical climate hence an SPF50 is the LEAST amount of sun protection factor that I need in this climate. For colder climates, a factor 15 to 30 will be sufficient.

4. Overnight treatments are the best kind

If you have a zit that is irritating you, treat it with an overnight treatment. I would recommend the Kiehl's Daily Skin Clearing Treatment or a purifying mask. You can even mix your own concoction with honey, milk and oatmeals!

These guidelines are being tried and tested for years and I have seen my skin becoming better each day. I always find it somewhat therapeutic to really take some time for myself and take my makeup off and get ready for bed. You can even add in your own personalised touch to your routine, let me know in the comments what your favourite skincare products are and how you treat your skin. So send me your nudes and I hope that this article has been helpful for you to achieve the perfected skin. Stay tuned for Part 2! 



For the perfect nudes -


Cleansers :


Peter Thomas Roth Gentle Foaming Cleanser

Innovative Skincare Clinical Cleansing Complex

Serums and Treatments :


Sunday Riley Artemis Oil
BioEffect EGF Serum 
Kiehl's Blemish Control Daily Skin-Clearing Treatment
Chanel Le Lift Anti-Wrinkle Eye Cream
Sarah Chapman Skinesis Eye Recovery
Caudalie Divine Oil 

Moisturisers :


Dior Hydra Life Creme Serum

BioEffect Daytime Moisturising Day Cream for Normal Skin
Philosophy Hope in A Jar 

Sunscreens :

Kiehl's Ultra Light Daily UV Defense SPF50
Innovative Skincare Eclipse Broad Spectrum SPF50 


x Farah

(Shown in Photo)


Clinique Derma White Fluid Cream Makeup SPF 15/PA++

Diorskin Nude Teint Eclat Effet Peau Nue SPF 15 in 030
RMK Super Basic Concealer in 2
RMK Eyelash Curler
Urban Decay Naked 2 Palette








2 comments: